Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design - Quote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airforce2

Mechanical
Dec 30, 2004
AU
I have been asked to put in a quote for a project where I will be required to carry out design (heatload calculation etc) as well as drawings. It will be a very basic system. There will be a couple of roof mounted toilet exhaust fans also.

The client has indicated underfloor ducting. I believe there will be 2 units required.

There are 2 buildings.

Building 1 is 3713 square feet (345 square meters).

Building 2 is 7750 square feet (720 square meters).

I was wondering if there is a basic formula to getting a more accurate quote? Say "X" amount of square feet (or square meter) per hour in design?

I am a bit torn over how many hours to put down in my quotation...

Thanks for your help,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Use RSMeans to get the mechanical square foot cost. Determine the cost of the installed system in your area. Typically, the design cost for a PE to supervise the design and stamp the drawings is around 6%. 10% if construction services are provided.

Thanks Zapster for your reply. The only thing that will be difficult is finding out the final cost once installed. There are a few variables there (cheap labour, cheap materials etc).

AF2,

RSMeans is updated every year with factors for project location and most of the variables are accounted for in the yearly realease. It's worth the $99 to get the book because, with a little study and work you can get the ballpark estimate you need from the publication.

GB

Airforce2

I would recommend for smaller project that 6% and 10% stated above not be used. For small project the overhead of setting up drawings, files etc is high compared to larger project.
The actual % of construction value may appoach 20%.
I think there is a lot of free engineering occuring on small project it is hard to even break even with the amount of time you spend on the job. There a no large peices of equiment to offset design time.

CME's hours per drawings may work better for you if this is a smaller project.
Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back