Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design Table / Excel Conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phadreus

Mechanical
Feb 28, 2005
US
Has anyone else experienced SW locking up when trying to access a DT when Excel is running in the background? For some reason, when I exit a DT, the Excel process does not always shut down. The next time I access a DT, things work just fine until I attempt to exit the DT, then SW hangs, not allowing me to continue operations. I have to shut down SW using the Task Mgr and restart SW.

This behavior is consistent from the time we installed SW 2006 (we are currently on SW 2006, SP 4.1) across some 70 workstations, over 5 independant sites. My VAR can't reproduce the problem and tells me that there is apperently some software conflict...gee, thanks that helps! [surprise]

M.B. Price CSWP
Automated Assembly & Test Systems

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This happens to me all the time and have a workaround. Question; How are you editing the DT. There's two options: "Edit Table" and "Edit Table in Window". I found out that "Edit Table in Window" opens excel to do your edits. What I do after I make my mod's is file a copy on my desktop if SW decides to hang-up. That way my work is saved, Another thing you might try is to close down all other app's when doing this.

Hope this helps,

Macduff [spin]
Colin Fitzpatrick
Mechanical Design Engineer
Solidworks 2006 SP 4.1
Dell 380 XP Pro SP 2
nVida Quadro FX 3450/4000

We typically use "Edit Table" for the most part, however; we do have some larger Tables that are more easily delt with by using "Edit Table in Window". I get the same results with both options... My current "fix" has been to keep Task Mgr open and minimized and simply open it to do a quick check for an Excel process running, then end the Excel Task if present before editing the DT. This works consistently, it's just a little bit of a pain.

Thanks MacDuff!

M.B. Price CSWP
Automated Assembly & Test Systems

Yeah I get this quite a lot, and use the backup save system suggested by Macduff, and control it with revision letters to track progress and revert to a previous version if required.

I'm running SW07-SP3.1 and MS Office 2003-SP2 and am not seeing the problem ... but then I've not experienced it with previous versions either.

Which version and patch level of Office or Excel are you using?

[cheers]
SW07-SP3.1
SW06-SP5.1

Make sure all separate Excel programs are closed down before you try and edit the DT's. Let SW excute MS Excel when doing your edits.

I found that this works sometimes.

Macduff [spin]
Colin Fitzpatrick
Mechanical Design Engineer
Solidworks 2007 SP 2.2
Dell 390 XP Pro SP 2
nVida Quadro FX 3450/4000

I'm running SW06. I don't like upgrading unless I have to.

I am preventing the hangs by using the Task Manager to delete an EXCEL.EXE process every time I exit a design table. Idiot SolidWorks leaves this process running every time!

Still, the program continues to do other things like refuse to recognize a linked dimension name.

For a lot of the parts I am working on, the design table feature with configurations is invaluable. I just wish it wasn't such a buggy nightmare to work with.

Oh well, the extra HOURS I spend dealing with this nonsense at the front end is more than made up when it comes time to produce the 2D drawings.

I am also running SW06-SP5.1 and don't have either of the problems you mention. I can understand not wanting to jump on the version upgrade path too soon, but the SP updates, IMO, are a must if you are having problems.

Are you having any other problems with functions not working?

Have you tried a clean uninstall/reinstall (with AV off)?

[cheers]
SW07-SP3.1
SW06-SP5.1

I had the same problem with 2006. I would use the task manager to stop the excel process. at least then the SW file was able to be saved.
I was told it was not enough memory, so they got me a new computer. Still happened...just quicker.
Once we upgraded to 2007, I have not had the problem once.
If you get this error often, it might be worth the upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back