Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Design tool for Strength Design of Reinforced CMU Bearing Walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

oengineer

Structural
Apr 25, 2011
US
Is anyone aware of a design tool (i.e., spreadsheet, program, etc.) that could be used to Design CMU Walls for Gravity plus Out-of-Plane Loads?

It appears that an interaction diagram is required to carry out Designs for CMU Walls for Gravity plus Out-of-Plane Loads.

Comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I used to use Enercalc for this design. Now I don't do it as often so I just do it by hand using the Strength Design (LRFD) slender wall provisions in TMS 402. I believe that if you use that method you don't need an interaction equation. My understanding is that there isn't really an ASD method for this in the TMS, but an interaction diagram could be used to check it against the general ASD strength provisions.

oengineer This is in Chapter 9 of TMS. I did not use interaction diagrams but I have used excel spreadsheets to design such a wall before. It involves treating the wall as a slender element (if the height greatly exceeds the width) and then calculating different parameters. Is this procedure what you are looking for? Please provide additional details of the wall, loads, etc.

-Just a curious engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back