Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Designing a rotating heated disc

Status
Not open for further replies.

braclark

Mechanical
Jan 25, 2002
US
I'm trying to design a heated disc that rotates slowly and I have a couple questions. The heater elements are to be mounted on the rotating disc and it is desired that a slip ring will supply the 120v 10A power for them.

Does this disc have to be "Hard wired" grounded or can I use a slip ring contact to ground it?
Are there any other methods (besides IR) of getting the temperature back to the controller since most slip rings aren't compatable with thermocouples?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you want to play safe you may use an insulation transformer.

You can mount the temp sensor on the moving part and
couple its output out by IR -- it is really the simplest. <nbucska@pcperipherals.com>

In my experience, &quot;fire rods&quot; are forgiving enough that if it is rotating slowly you shouldn't see problems passing through a slip ring.

How hot are you getting?? Can you mount an isolated box with a temp controler to the rotating portion?? This way your thermocouple doesn't have to pass through the slip ring, just the temp signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back