Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Designing the HVAC system for a pub with bi-fold doors all around

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehdikardehi

Mechanical
May 31, 2009
AU
Hi All,

I am in the process of designing the HVAC solution to a pub which has bi-fold doors between bistro and alfresco and also between function room and alfresco...

I think the owner will leave those doors open in most of the days.

What is the way to design the HVAC?
- I have to have OA to my units to maintain the level of OA when the doors are closed
- I am not sure how exactly to size the system not to go oversize and undersized.

Any experienced person here to help me?

Regards,
M

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

you probably want ventilation reset (based on CO2) since vent needs will fluctuate greatly.
all should be mechanical as if the doors were closed.... you will not have enough diffusion from one room to another.

The hottest days that the doors might be left open could be 38°C dry bulb and 20% RH.

I have attached the plan view of the pub

There is a plant room right above the kitchen

I am thinking of using a ducted split system for each zone (sports lounge/bistro/function). An outdoor fan to be ducted to the return air connection of the split ducts to provide the required fresh air.

For the kitchen also I am thinking of providing 80% of the exhaust with evaporative cooler and the other 20% to be sucked form other areas

What do you think of above sytstem to serve the kitchen and other areas?
What should I do with those bi- fold doors shown in the drawing to make sure my system is properly sized and the indoor is comfortable all the times in terms of fresh air and temperature?

With Thanks,
M

They are very wide doors...do you think the owner will be happy to pay the electricity bills for them?
FYI: Australia electricity is the most expensive in the world :(

I think he would be happier to pay the electric bill for the air curtains rather than the electric bill to cool the entire outdoors of Australia.

I believe ASHRAE 90.1 requires a vestibule (to be pressurized positively) for such applications.
check the architectural section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back