Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Detail Critique - Wood/Masonry Wall Section w/ Kicker Brace 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

eng003

Structural
Jan 4, 2012
US
Looking for a critque of the attached detail. There few things I am not thrilled about but specifically the kicker brace. I do not like the idea of making them thread the brace through the truss...expecting interference and trouble placing. Considered taking wall studs down to the plate on the masonry but from my experience contractors typically like customary platform framing. Any opinions/critique on kicker and detail in general appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Put a dbl. truss 4' from the wall and ladder frame the remaining trusses to act as braces. In your detail you have to worry about up and down loads on the truss fastened to the braces. Same goes for the ladder framed detail I suggested but the loads are considerably less. The other optiopn is to bring the masonry up to the top of the trusses and brace it with the sheathing. This details comes up all the time in basement design. There is no free lunch.

I agree with ExcelEngineering on this. This is typical of what we would do with a IJoists or even sawn lumber in a similar situation. If you have a hard ceiling this also helps as an additional diaphragm. The number of bays to block is governed by the number of bays it takes to get your loads into the floor sheathing, the spacing of ladder blocking is governed by what your wall framing/bond beam can span.

A second note: i would recommend the sheathing to be cont. over the floor/wall framing. your indication is such that the floor sheathing can have a panel point at the bottom plate. IE, if possible use your wall panels vertical so that the panel laps are at 4' and 8' above the bottom of the trusses also known as never at the bottom plate hinge.

Thanks for the response. I like the idea but having trouble visualizing how it is detailed. Could you provide a sketch? Curious, do you never do a kicker like this?

I have done kickers like this but only for slopped roof trusses as the web interference is difficult to work with. The detail would just be your wall section with ladder framing (show 2x lines along T&B chords) for N-bays along the top chords and bottom chords. then add note stating the size, spacing, and attachments.

I don't know the reason for stopping the wall short of the floor diaphrsgm, but I would push for extending the wall up - much better situation than the use of any kickers.

I lieu of that, though, Excel's comments are good.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

I second Mike's comment about stopping the wall. If on the side walls you went with top chord bearing trusses then you wouldn't have as big of a knuckle and you could just block horizontally between top chords and not have the angle.

You could also give the floor truss guys a lateral load at the top of the wall and let them design the bracing into the floor sheathing. They may just add horizontal bracing for the bottom chord extending back a few trusses.

Agree with Msquared about continuing the wall up, three courses of CMU is not a significant savings, and the diagonal kicker is a fair amount of detail framing work and lots of opportunity to screw that up. We all know the load path cleans up a lot with a continuous CMU wall, including your second story wall uplift and shear. I think I have only done that with roof trusses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back