Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Device that Data Logs Generator Output? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawsonh4

Chemical
Oct 4, 2020
US
I am hoping someone here might have recommendations for a product that can data log volts, amps, and frequency coming off an AC generator. Ideally, the product would be able to connect to local wifi and transmit the data in real time. If no such product exists then an alternative would be to data log on site and download the data periodically in person.

I thought Fluke Connect would be a good solution, but it seems as though there needs to be a mobile device present near the fluke device at all times. There are some Fluke multimeters that can data log, but wanted to get this communities opinion on possible alternatives.

Any help is appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have installed and setup a number of these meters on several standby generators, as well as several battery systems and a couple mid-size industrial solar projects,

They have a reasonable cost, install and setup is pretty straight forward, data is easier to deal with compared to many other manufacturer's power meters (at least in my experience) and so far as I know after more than 100 meters installed in the last 4 year, no failures I'm aware of.

The web server is liked by many of my customers. The wireless module and web server is an optional module,
Hope that helps,
MikeL

When I first started dealing with them I was cautious, seemed to be too cheap to do all they said the meters would do, but overall their performance has exceeded many of the larger manufacturer's from what I have seen, and their product support has been very good to date.

Good luck on your project.

MikeL.

Catserveng - I received a quote from Accuenergy, unfortunately their specs aren't quite what I need. The lowest measurable frequency is 45Hz. The generator I am wanting to monitor is variable speed depending on the prime mover. Do you have any other recommendations that I could look into?

I can't imagine a generator that operates less than 45Hz. Variations in speed are typically 2-3 Hz from the fundamental frequency (50 or 60Hz, depending on where you are). But maybe I'm misunderstanding the application.

Regardless, I've found the Phoenix Contact power meters (EEM series) were a good value permanent power monitoring solution. I like them because they store the data onboard that you can retrieve via a local webserver.

ben
bengibb.ca
powerdesignerpro.com

It actually doesn’t take much imagination. I don’t know what the OP is doing but there are lots of wind turbines that generate at whatever frequency suits the moment and the output goes through power conversion electronics and comes out at the local power system frequency.

I’ll see your silver lining and raise you two black clouds. - Protection Operations

All standard data loggers have a frequency band of +/- 5 Hz of 50/60 Hz.

For your variable frequency (and possibly variable voltage) data logging, you might want to try the data loggers used in VFD's.

Drive gurus in this forum are great sources of valuable knowledge.

Muthu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back