Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Diesel Fuel emissions termination outlet IMC. 501.3.1 contradictory information

Status
Not open for further replies.

neighbor lady

Student
Feb 13, 2024
US
I posted this awhile back, but have still not come up with answer ( that makes sense). Huge generator on newly built nursing home placed at fence line 10 feet away, diesel fuel pipe above that 10 feet from property line, and 13 feet from front porch.
IMC. 501.3.1 requires 30 feet from property line for flammable, fumes, or dusts. 501.3.2 Requires 10 feet for other product conveying outlets.
In the 501.3.1 ICC commentary, they include hazardous exhaust systems as 30 feet distance to reduce exposure to vapors, fumes. This is a huge difference.

Has anyone encountered this problem? Also, the commentary advised code officials to consider prevailing winds in locating hazardous exhausts.
These were the point I made to the Deputy Building Official with no response other than to allow this monster at 10 feet. The wind blows westerly right across into my yard and building. This is a small apartment house. Any advice? Code help on this, I want this thing moved and certainly the exhaust pipe.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=4fad57b2-966d-466f-93e2-8597350e28de&file=721.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I had one a little worse.
We installed as per engineered drawings, a large generator with an 8" exhaust pipe.
We did a two hour commissioning run and found that the exhaust was directed towards the main HVAC inlet to the building.
The building occupants all had headaches and red, sore eyes.
I designed an exhaust extension that took the exhaust up two stories and directed it across the roof.
The engineer of record signed off on my design.
Problem solved.
The same solution may serve here.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

I showed all kinds of detrimental effects that diesel fuel has on people to the inspector, met with him and one of the owners, building operations, requested they move this exhaust overhead out of our faces, they do not care. They will only do what the inpector requires and in Dallas, that is not much if anything, the developers bring in money, little neighbor ladies do not. They would not move this even though it is very offensive, detrimental to my property. Thanks for responding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back