Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difference between 1996 BOCA and 1999 BOCA???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwaz

Structural
Jun 6, 2002
US
Hello everyone -

I am currently studying for the Structural I PE exam and have a question about the required codes. It is stated that either the '97 UBC or 1999 BOCA or the SBC shall be used for this exam. Well, since our work mainly focuses in the northeast region of the U.S., the best choice for me to use would be the BOCA. The problem is that it seems all the states for our designs are based upon the 1996 BOCA, so we do not have a 1999 BOCA.

So finally the question...........Is there a big difference between the 1996 and 1999 BOCA? I think there was a difference in the seismic design, which had some states reluctant to adopt the 1999 BOCA. Is this true? What else would be different.

Since we do not have the 1999 BOCA, I would hate to go out and buy it. However, if I must do so for this exam, then I will have to.

Thanks in advance!

- Chris (wanna be a P.E.)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It seems that most states have gone to the International Codes, and the 1999 BOCA is just expensive paper. If you have one, keep it, it may someday be a collectors item!

Chris:

I am puzzled by the reference to the BOCA codes. We in Virgnia still use the 1996 BOCA Code. We never adopted the 1999 BOCA Code.

However, BOCA, SBC & ICBO have merged and the result is a new set of code called the International Codes. BOCA, SBC and ICBO are no longer independent organizations. I wonder if it is not more appropriate to use the 2000 or the 2003 edition of the International Building Code. That is the recognized code now and the BOCA codes are considered to be obsolete (for lack of a better term). I understand that New York and other north eastern states are going to the International Building Code. I think you would be better served to use the International Building Code of the examination board will allow it.

Good Luck

Claude Cooper, PE
Building Commissioner
City of Richmond, VA

Thanks Claude and Trussdoc for your responses.

The problem is that the PE Exam is based on the choice of using only the 1999 BOCA, 1997 UBC, or 1999 SBC. Because of this, the IBC code would not be relevent to the exam answers, which are all multiple choice. As a side note, Claude, you are helping to prove my theory that most states that currently use the BOCA, only adopted the 1996 edition and NOT the 1999 edition. However, my question is still out there....Is there really any difference between the 1996 and 1999 BOCA?

Thanks again,
- Chris

Chris - There are definitely differences between the two additions editions of the BOCA Code. However, I think these differences are in the exiting, fire resistivity and non structural parts of the code. I have asked one of my Plans Examiners to do a quick comparison between structural requirements between the two editions. It will take a couple of days and then I will give you a better response. Fortunately, we have a 1999 edition in our files/

Claude Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back