Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Difference between Foundation Pier and Pedestal 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanira

Structural
Oct 9, 2019
US
I have a steel resting on a concrete Pier/ Pedestal. Is the two Pier/Pedestal same? OR is there any difference? Also what design approach should I use to design it? Should I just design it as a concrete column?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Generally, I believe a pier is defined as a foundation that transfers load from a superstructure to soil or rock. A pedestal is a small raised portion of a larger foundation. A pier would be sized to transfer the applied loads to the soil or rock on which it is founded, and structurally designed to carry the loads applied to all components. A pedestal would require only structural design to carry the loads through it. The structural design approach for either will be based on the dimensions and proportions of the component to be designed.

Rod Smith, P.E., The artist formerly known as HotRod10

Agree with BridgeSmith. I distinguish the two elements by consider the pier is a tall, bulky structural elements that carries structural reactions generated from system above to the foundation; a pedestal is a short, often stocky, element that functions in a way more like spacer in between the load from above and the support (usually another structural element) it sits on.

Yes, both are compression dominated elements behaving similar to column, so the design.

Thanks everyone for response.

@BridgeSmith I am not talking about 'Pier Foundation'. I m talking about 'Foundation Pier' which is aupported on a foundation and which itself supports steel column.

When used to describe a footing, the word "pier" is usually accompanied by "bored". A bored pier is a type of pile. As you indicated, your pier/pedestal is a short, stocky element which fills the gap between a footing and a column above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back