Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difference in allowable stresses in ASME Secton II part D & B31.3 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meck91

Mechanical
Aug 26, 2009
CA
I went through some of the relevant threads with respect to above and found useful info. from seniors on this, but i would like to know the reason for this difference in allowable stress for material listed in both Secton II Part D & B31.3, for example Material SA 516 Gr. B can be used for Pressue Vessel as well as for piping but at all times if i am designing piping i have to use values from tables available in B31.3. Why i can't use values from Part D.
From some info. available at net, i found that it has something to do with safety factor. Would highly appreciate respone in little bit more detail if this is the case.
Thanks,
Meck 91

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry, its a typo. Let's cnsider any grade of SA-516. All can be used in ASME Section VIII Div. 1 & B31.3.
Thanks.

but i would like to know the reason for this difference in allowable stress for material listed in both Secton II Part D & B31.3, for example Material SA 516 Gr. B can be used for Pressue Vessel as well as for piping but at all times if i am designing piping i have to use values from tables available in B31.3.

Each Standards Committee is charged with maintaining their code book. This means use of material, safety factors, welding requirements, fabrication requirements, service loads, and yes, allowable stresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back