Difference in Von Mises Results Between Beam Model and 3D Model

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy1989

Mechanical
Aug 13, 2012
SG
Hi,

I am trying to study the difference between the static structural results of a 3D model and Beam model. I used a simple I beam example whereby one end of the beam is fixed support and the other end is a load downwards 100kN. When I compared the max von mises stress between both models, the Beam model reported significantly lower VM stress compared with 3D model. I enabled 'Beam Section Results' for the beam model to view the VM stress. Appreciate if someone can enlighten me on the reason for such difference? I have included pictures of the results for beam model and 3D model respectively as reference. Thank you in advance.

unnamed_ollvrg.png
unnamed_grxdkt.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is the difference in end deflection?
Please compare X direction stresses.
Are you sure the beam model has the same section properties as the 3D model?

In addition to what SWComposites suggested, make sure you're not looking at any max stresses that are the result of singularities/boundary condition artifacts, as looks to be the case with the max stress label on your 3D model. While it's hard to tell from your pictures, the stress values a little bit away from the fixed end and also at the beam midpoint look to be fairly similar for the two cases. Also, make sure you've done a hand calc to verify your model and give you an idea of the expected ballpark for your stress results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back