Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Different Concrete Joints for Load Transfer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

arh13p

Agricultural
Mar 25, 2009
US
Does anyone have any other ideas that could be used for a concrete control joint in liquid-tight slabs for load transfer? I use slip dowels in conjunction with 6" PVC waterstop. The other thing used is the speed plate(basket type) with PVC baseseal. Anyone have other or better options I could consider? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why must you use control joints? Construction Joints are a much better way to go, unless there is a specific reason to go with control joints.
If you must use control joints, use 9 inch center bulb waterstop with a minimum thickness of 3/8 inch. It doesn't take too much movement to tear the 6 inch flat waterstop.

Control Joints may be required for our larger structures to minimize cracking instead of loading the slab with a lot reinforcing steel. (depends on cost). For environmental sites for waste storage and equipment driving on slab when emptying. Is there any info out there to show the comparisons of 6" vs. 9" waterstop I could look up?

Agree with Jed, except for the bit about expansion joints. Why would they ever be required in a water retaining structure?

If this is something like a waste tranfer station, and there will be big front end loaders operating, you should consider steel fibre concrete. Not to replace the reinforcement, but to make the surface tougher.

hokie, some of our structures are large enough that thermal movements are important, especially during construction. At about 200 ft., I get nervous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back