Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

different duration - same start/end date

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi all.

I'm having trouble setting up my project plan the same way as a friend of mine has theirs.

We have the same Calendar settings, but her durations are calculating differently than mine.

For example. Her start date is the 8th, end is the 9th. Her duration is 1 day.

My start date is the 8th, end is the 9th. My duration is 1.88 days. Why isn't it 1 day or 2 days? And if it should be two days, why is my MS project different than my friends?

Thanks in advance for your help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Alex,
The reason you're getting 1.88 days for a 2 day duration is because you've changed the working time (either for the project default calendar, or the calendar referring to that task) after you've entered the 2 day duration - in fact you've change the working time from 8hrs to 8.5 hrs. Think about it - you added a task (2 days at 8hrs/day - 16 hrs - then you changed the working day to 8.5 hrs, resulting in the 16hr duration being spread over 17hrs (1.88 days).
Try setting up your calendars & working hours before you input tasks & you won't have a problem.
You can also fix this problem by overtyping the durations with your proper duration, alternately input your durations in hours.
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back