Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dimensioning problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

AhDanielson

Marine/Ocean
Jan 16, 2011
GB
Hello, just got a copy of pro e 4.0, trying to master it, thought i'd have a go as i want to a new job in design.
I've used pro e at uni before so just trying to pick it up again. Having a little problem with dimensioning. When I go to add a dimension, say from a centre line to a line (not an overall length which is automatically produced).
I go to create a new dimension, i click on the line, then centre line, then the line, then outside the line, but no dimension appears??? (see attached image)

Has anyone seen of this problem before??

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

DW

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

..... just following on from my first post,
I'm following a tutorial and it edits some dimensions of a shape with reference to a centre line (see image "pro e pic3"), but when i try to reproduce the technique by adding the dimension it won't allow me to select the end point then the centre line then click outside the lines to create the dimension nothing appears???? (see image "pro e pic2")

Once again, has anyone seen this problem, can anyone help??

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

DW

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=75781d1a-fbce-4b5d-8d93-f228ea1f6378&file=pro_e_pic3.jpg
For your first question, I find that most problems when creating diamenter dimension in a sketch are from picking the wrong reference. Try clicking the right mouse button and selecting from the list (note I am on WF3 so some things may have changed in WF4). I am unsure what your second question refers to. Make sure the message window is visible. In my attached picture the message window in below the graphics window and model tree.

By the way - BS Ocean Engineering, Florida Atlantic University, Dec. 1987

Peter Stockhausen
Senior Design Analyst (Checker)
Infotech Aerospace Services
www.infotechpr.net

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=85672511-eee9-403a-9111-694da844d561&file=rdim1.bmp
Are you left mouse button clicking? You should be middle button clicking. Middle button is Pro/E's done button. So you should be LMB on the line, LMB on the CL, LMB on the line, then MMB anywhere in the graphics window. With pretty much every command the middle button will complete the command. In dialog boxes MMB often does the same thing as hitting the OK button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back