Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dimensioning to theoretical sharps and hole center symbols

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechman50

Mechanical
Jan 26, 2004
US
Why is it so difficult sometimes to dimension to theoretical sharps and holes center with center symbols? Sometimes it works well, and others not. Is there a sequence required. On current drawing, theoretical sharp is not selectable at all, as a first extension nor second extension.

+++++++++++++++++++++
NX 11.0.2.7

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is a theoretical sharp? Do you mean a corner that has been rounded with something like a blend or chamfer? That's called an intersection in most cases (with NX) and you can either use intersection (theres one that allows selection of 2 different curves for each intersection and one that detects intersection when you hover over it) point from the point constructor menu or add intersection symbols on the drawing to represent the extended intersections. Sometimes this can be more difficult if the geometry is very curvy or not analytical (lines and arcs in the view).

If I'm dimensioning to a hole center, I'm going to put a center symbol on it if possible - if the hole is in a curved surface, you may have to place a point there or use some other method.

Hard to tell specifically without images or example parts.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 11.0.1.11 MP8
GM GPDL 11-A.3.3
Win7 Enterprise x64 SP1
Intel Core i7 2.5GHz 16GB RAM
4GB NVIDIA Quadro K3100M

I could be wrong, but in order to utilize the intersection symbol as one of the dimension objects, you need to have Control Point turned on in the Object Snaps. Once you do that, all the centerlines and other similar annotation symbols will work for dimensioning.

Intersection.symbol.object.snap_euh8ln.png

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 11.0.1.11 MP8
GM GPDL 11-A.3.3
Win7 Enterprise x64 SP1
Intel Core i7 2.5GHz 16GB RAM
4GB NVIDIA Quadro K3100M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back