Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dimensioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryandias

Automotive
Jul 28, 2006
CA
We have a pretty complicated drawing with probably 3-400 dimensions. I was asked to number them, and then add them to a spreadsheet.

Is there an easy way to do this?
Auto Numbering?
or is it just a Balloon thing on another layer?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No easy way that I am aware of - and there is no automatic balloon number increment other than for ballooning to a parts list. You could possibly do it with a VB macro.
Can I ask WHY yo need to do it?

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Yeah, I ended up doing it manually. I thought about it and do not think it would be easy. I was hoping you could just pull a list of dimensions and show their "numbering", but when I looked at the SE numbering (variable list) it looks rather cryptic.

The reason I was asked to do this is to "discuss" the drawing in a clearer maner. This way, we have a reference, and can systematically review the drawing with participants in various locations. One of our suppliers recently did this to our drawing, and we were trying to use the same process on a different application.

Do you have a grid on your drawing? We have letters down the sides and numbers top & bottom. Then if we want to look at a specific detail or dimension we can say grid or zone 'C6' which gives a limited area to look in.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back