Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dimensions of 16" sch 10 steel pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

warrenelec

Mechanical
Oct 31, 2003
US
Can anyone help me finding the dimensions of 16" sch. 10 pipe (OD & ID)? I can't find it any where in the machinists handbook or the internet. THANKS

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

warrenelec-

For 14" through 24" nominal pipe the OD is the nominal diameter. Schedule 10 for these pipes is 1/4" thick so the ID will be the OD-1/2".

jt

16"s/10 is 0.250" wall for steel per ASME B36.1 "Welded & Seamless Wrought Steel Pipe",

16"s/10s is 0.188" wall for stainless [so does ANSI/ASME B36.19 "Stainless Steel Pipe"

Watch out in the bigger sizes [10"s/80s; 10"&12" s/40s; 14"-22"s/10s]

It's probably a good idea to put the wall thickness on the dwg/parts list next to schedule, so the buyers don't buy the wrong stuff.

16" Pipe O/D 406.4 mm and thickness 4.78mm for sch 10s.
Hence ID is 406.4-(2*4.78mm) = 396.84mm

You may refer to ASTM A 312 or A 999 or A 530 or A 358 if you do not have ANSI. These ASTM generally gives Dimension tables.
Tolerance varies for different ASTM Spec, for Example A 358 mentions -0.3 mm where as A 312 gives wider negative tolerance.

bmoorthy,
Original question related to 16" Sch10 pipe (not Sch 10s). jte and arto had it right in that OD is nominally 16" (406.4mm), wall thickness is nominally 0.25" (6.35mm), so nominal ID is 15.5" (393.7mm).

As you point out though, tolerances vary between the material specifications and so allowable under-tolerances in particular need to be considered for design work (typically -12.5% on wall thickness as I recall for the specs I have dealt with).

John

I'm not sure if your going to find the chart anywhere
I looked all over. The Letco site only lists a few
sizes but its a general idea.

I worked for a company who had a table of every
dimension for seamless Pipe and it was an old xerox
copy that I have not been able to find anywhere.

I copied it in excel and I have a printout of it
but I cannot find the original document otherwise
I would send it to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back