Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

DIN steel casting test coupon

sta67

Materials
Apr 22, 2012
US
Can someone tell me where I can find the recommended cast-on sample for a DIN alloy steel casting. I have one for the DIN EN 1563 nodular iron standard, but the DIN steel casting standards that I have looked for like EN 10293 do not show the recommended cast-on sample figure.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

not sure this may help or not, but you can try. here is what I found from the net:

"DIN EN ISO 11970 (for welding procedure specifications for steel castings) or DIN 17205 (which is an older German standard for steel castings) may include more detailed guidelines or references to cast-on test samples".

"If none of the above resources provide the exact recommendation, a general approach for cast-on test samples for steel castings is to follow the principles of ASTM A370 for mechanical testing, as they sometimes align closely with DIN methodologies".

R.Efendy

Thanks for the info but the standards that you both have mentioned mostly discuss test specimens and procedures for testing and do not address what I am looking for. The ASTM standard A1067/A1067M-12a (Reapproved 2024) is titled "Standard Specification for Test Coupons for Steel Castings" and defines the geometries of several separately cast and integrally cast test coupons. I was hoping to find the DIN or ISO standard that would show me DIN requirements for the integrally cast coupons, but none of the standards you have mentioned do that. Thank you for trying.

For taking out or sizing test coupons of steel castings you may also refer DIN EN 1559-2. However, test coupons need to be agreed with customer, sizing of coupons dependent upon chosen / required final size etc as per previously mentioned standards. In the end, why not directly approach a steel cast supplier / standardizing body in the region you'd want to operate in to fine tune on your specific needs.

Roland Heilmann

Back