Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Direction of Engineering 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobber

Industrial
Jul 27, 2001
US
Engineering has become the business majors play thing. We no longer have control of our own projects. We are vastly becoming data entry and documentation experts. I feel that the Engineer's major downfall is that there is no mentoring within companies. Masters education in Engineering Management or MBA with an Engineering undergradute is the only way to move up the ladder!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am a new "engineer in training" with a BS (and I have passed the EIT)

I did not do a co-op or internship, as I was in a pre-commisioning program to become a military officer while I was in school.

I agree that co-ops/internships should be required to obtain a BS.

(I could have done a co-op/internship, and all it would have done is delay my comissioning date, If I had to do it over again, I would)

I did actually get a job without having a co-op/internship as experience. (And no, unless I was going to work for the Los Angeles SWAT team, my military experience was all but useless in my job hunt)

I work for a small company that hires, for the most part, only people with:
A) several (5 or more) years experience.
B) co-ops or internships.

I understand, they are small and cannot afford to do anything else.

I believe I am the only one that was hired who did not complete some sort of "Engieering " co-op, or had 5 years of "Engineering" work completed.

Having said that, I disagree with the notion that people like myself are untrainable, or are a drag on the resources of the company, or that we cannot produce anything usefull until after we have been here 2 - 3 years.

I am very glad the company I work for took a chance with me, and I believe I am begining to pay off-in less than a year.

Oranjeep,

I don't think anyone is downgrading the fact that some engineers never co-op or intern. I think we (probably me more than some) would prefer that engineering students complete an internship or co-op program in order to become more acquainted with the field they are choosing.

For what it matters, one of my best mentors through my internships was a fellow that did not have an engineering degree but had learned it the hard way...through 30-years on the job. In most points, his knowledge and skill was far beyond the engineers with BS/MS degrees.

The idea that fresh-faced engineers without internships/co-ops are untrainable is absurb. But, for the most part, they will not make an immediate impact and will require some unit of time to become "adjusted" to their work surroundings. Is it 2-3 years? Or, is it 6-months? In the jobs I've been in it has been more of the former than the latter due to the complexity of the job at hand. But, I realize that the right engineer, the right situation, and the right company, a smaller period of time is perfectly normal.

Hey young man...keep your chin up and hold your head high. You have embarked into a profession that can have truly high rewards. Look, listen, and feel your way through your work...stealing away those learned lessons to your heart and wisdom. And remember, there will be youngsters that come after you that need guidance...don't forget them.

~NiM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back