Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disable P4 Hyprerthreading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMango

Mechanical
May 1, 2001
US
I keep hearing rumors about needing to disable the Hyperthreadng functionality in the newer P4s when using SW. I searched here and the SW Knowledge Base, but couldn't find anything concrete aobut having to disable this. We are looking to build a few new systems and if anyone could shed some reliable light on this subject, that would be great.

Ray Reynolds
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Certainly. Go with AMD!

OK, sorry for the ribbing. My AMD systems are very stable, but sometimes you have to do what the boss asks for.

I'm afraid my post isn't otherwise useful. You might check Tek-Tips.com--I've gotten good help there before.

By the way, I love your sig file. Thanks for the clarification in another thread when I referred to it. (Kinda makes my point of Intel's foul-up regarding 64-bit chip architecture development.)

Jeff Mowry
Industrial Designhaus, LLC

From what I've read in this forum, disabling Hyperthreading has helped some users if they had some problems, but it's not a cure-all for everyone. If it's not causing you problems then leave it enabled. If you will not be making use of it with other programs then disable it & nothing will be lost. It is a simple toggle in the BIOS to enable/disable Hyperthreading so dont worry about it too much.

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[lol] Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film. [lol]

I have logged may hours with SW2004 on my 2.8GHz P4-HT and have not had any problems that I would attribute to HT. What experiences are you having?

[blue]PakRat[/b], I haven't had any troubles, as I said, I've only heard rumors. Also, according to SW about Hyperthreading:

A) Processor must be P4 3.06 GHz or higher, or Intel Xeon (Xeon processors do not have to be >3GHz)
B) Need special motherboard
C) HT must be enabled in BIOS
D) OS to be Windows XP SP1 or higher

So maybe that is why you are not seeing any "problems".

Ray Reynolds
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back