Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Distillation Rupture Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fattony11

Chemical
Jan 10, 2007
US
I am trying to size a rupture disk for a distillation tower. I am having difficulty finding information on how to do this. I am hoping someone here has had some experience with this type of application and can direct me to a good source or can provide me with the proper equations to do so.

Tony

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can I ask the question as to why a rupture disk and not a PSV?

The Rupture disk will be mounted directly on the vessel to prevent an overpressure caused by a runaway reaction.
There is a pressure relief valve on the upstream piping as well.

So it's a reactor and not a distillation column?

No, it is a distillation column.
There is a concern about possible side reactions within the vessel.

For venting systems designed for reactions you have to use DIERS.

Perhaps note some additional considerations for the design:

A rupture disc will normaly need larger distance between operating pressure and set pressure than PSVs. Careful of design data for the vessel and disc compared to commercial available charachteristics for different types of rupture discs and disc materials especially at lower set pressures (Range 1-2 bar G), and different disc sizes.

Vacuum (underpressure) protection (by emtying and rapid cooling by water) is very often overseen. A vessel is normally weaker for underpressure than overpressure.

Rupture or leak detection recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back