Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Divide command?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmath

Industrial
Dec 13, 2013
US
Is there a divide command in Draftsight? This command is in Autocad and with it
a person can divide a line or arc into segments the same length.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hey fmath,
If there is a command, then I haven't found it yet.
There is a "div" command (short for MARKDIVISIONS) which marks the division lengths with a point, but it doesn't actually divide the line into separate lengths.

Hi Fmath,

On the "modify" toolbar, there is an icon directly below (or to the right depending on orientation) the FILLET icon that is the SPLIT command. Now for whatever reason, there are two split commands, you want the first one. The description when hovering over the icon reads "BREAKS A SELECTED ENTITY AT A SINGLE POINT: SPLIT". You will then be prompted to select an entity and point. If you ESNAP on, you can locate the midpoint and after you click, the line/curve will be split in two. I hope this helps.

Best,
Medeski

Medeski, "SPLIT" is the same as the AutoCAD "BREAK" command.

FMATH, type "DIVIDE", press the <ENTER> key or the spacebar.

Ericsonbirdman, I tried “div” but all I got was “unrecognised command”

Tr1tx, I tried “Divide” but all I got was “unrecognised command”

I have the free download version of Draftsight, I don't know if that makes any difference.

Medesci, as Tr1tx said, "split" is like the Autocad break command. However,I want to be able to
divide a line into numerous segments. In Autocad (at least the older versions) the divide command will ask if you want to insert a block or just divide it. I will create a block that is just a line to make reference marks. Then the command asks how many segments I want and inserts the block at those segments marking the line or arc into equally spaced segments.

Thanks everyone for the help

Hi Fmath,

Are you sure you have the latest version of Draftsight? What OS are you operating? Typing "divide" (no quotation marks)works on mine (Windows 8, V1R3.2 x64). Maybe try typing in "_markdivisions" (again, no quotation marks).

Best,
Medeski

markdivisions worked! THANKS PAL!!!!

I used that command quite a bit in Autocad.

I am using V1R4x64 version of Draftsight. My operating system is windows 7 and it is on a 64 bit machine.

Thanks
Rick

Hi Rick,

Not a problem, glad I could help. I wonder why the "divide" input didn't work... it must be that your command config file that does not have "divide=_markdivisions" in there for some reason.

Best,
Medeski

Thanks Medeski

Is the "divide" command older than the "markdivisions" command?

Is the command config file something users can tweak?

I use command aliases but am still getting used to Draftsight and am still trying to get
the command flexibility and efficiency I had in Autocad.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back