Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do CMU piers meet IBC 2006?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miner99er

Structural
Jan 3, 2006
US
I'm evaluating a 70 year old house that is supported by CMU block piers on 2" CMU spread footings. Is this leagal?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the piers are solid grouted, attached to the beams and 2" slab to prevent "walking" in a seismic event, and the 2" CMU slabs are buried sufficiently to prevent "walking", being sized for the bearing loads seen, I see no problems with the connection other than untreated wood to concrete contact.

From the picture shown, the 2" slab does not see much if any bending, the load from the CMU blocks being distributed to the soil structure through the 2" CMU in shear at a 45 degree plane - no bending. No problem for me.

However, the wood beams appear to be another matter. The one on the right appears to be deteriorated.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

Is there a specific defect that brought you to this issue (other than the fore-mentioned unprotected timber) or is it one of those "Id like to have my house inspected for various reasons". Maybe settlement cracks showing up inside?

-Robert Miller, E.I.T.
KPA Structural Engineers

For a house of that age the better question is; is it adequate?

Judging by the apparently more recent packer it barely appears to be adequate (as would be expected with the underside of footing at 3" deep.

It's obviously not original as the other piers are the nice looking tapered CIP concrete ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back