Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do Self Priming Pumps have a negative NPSHR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chbrow10

Marine/Ocean
Oct 29, 2010
US
This is rather basic question, but if there is an application where the pump is located above the tank containing the fluid, then the pump must be self priming, right? So the NPSHR of that pump is a negative number, right?

So the NPSHA needs to be a less negative number than the NPSHR of the pump? Example, with friction losses and everything else, the NPSHA is -10 feet. I need to select a self priming pump that has a NPSHR smaller (more negative) than -10 feet, right?

This is for pumping #2 diesel on a supply boat if it matters.

Thanks for y'alls help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry, but I think you have not understood how NPSHa is calculated.

NPSHa = p-Z+V+f

Where p is the absolute pressure head in the tank feeding the pump. This is 33 ft for a tank open to atmosphere

Z is the height from the tank fluid surface to the impeller center line. A positive Z means the pump has a suction lift i.e. it is above the tank fluid level.

V is the fluid vapor pressure expressed in feet. For water at 68 degF this is about 0.8 ft

f is the frictional loss in the pipes betweent he tank and the pump expressed in feet.

Since the fluid will boil if the NPSHa is lower than the vapor pressure, you cannot have a negative NPSHa. The best you could hope to achieve would be about 1 ft under ideal conditions.

I assume from your example you have a suction lift of about 10 ft. Therefore your best case NPSHa would be about 20 ft, allowing 3 ft for diesel vapor pressure and pipe losses.

A self priming pump simply means the pump can start and pump with no fluid in the suction line. Just like any centrifugal pump you still need to have the pump NPSHr lower than the NPSHa plus a small margin. For diesel fuel a 2 ft margin would be plenty, so you need to select a pump with an NPSHr of 18 ft or less.

Sorry I should add that #2 diesel has an SG of 0.87 to 0.95 and hence can support a fluid column of about 34.5 to 38 ft. 33 ft would be for water with an SG of 1.

"Since the fluid will boil if the NPSHa is lower than the vapor pressure, you cannot have a negative NPSHa. The best you could hope to achieve would be about 1 ft under ideal conditions."

The answer to that is NPSH is absolute and by definition cannot be < 0.

Let your acquaintances be many, but your advisors one in a thousand’ ... Book of Ecclesiasticus

A jet pump is not self priming, and can be located above the reservoir. It only means it must be primed.

A hand pump is not self priming, and is located above the reservoir.

The rest was answered.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back