Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do you have cut conditions for .01 copper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thermeng2

Mechanical
Jan 29, 2003
US
I need to find out if its even posible to cut copper..I have a Mazak stx-48 1500 watt laser..Any input would be great..
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What Mr. Krug said for sure.

The problem with cutting copper isn't cutting copper, It is when the beam isn't penetrating the material and just bouncing off the surface.

With a 1500 watt, I wouldn't go any thicker. And if you don't care about edge quality so much, use full power for pierce, full frequency full duty, and Oxygen at about 0.2 MPa or 2 Kg

If the edge is super important, use Oxygen for the pierce and then switch to Nitrogen, but cut super slow. 10 or 20 Ipm to start off with. Again, full power full duty.

Using Oxygen you maybe able to get it up to 30 ipm but start slow.

Good luck.

Just like krugtech and laserninja told you, babysit the machine and don't walk away from cutting. Laserninja is right about using oxygen for cutting copper even if it's thin. I have cut up to 0.125" with oxygen on a 4.0 Kw Amada Gemini. Hairy at one point but I did it.

How bad is copper? Most internal/external optics are made of copper to reflect the laserbeam.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back