Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do you work off the server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

engineeringh2o

Civil/Environmental
Sep 24, 2003
US
What is the better method?

I'm working with Microstation J and we save all our files to a server. The standard practice at my company has been to copy to you machine the file you plan to work in and save it back to the server when you are done. All the files being referenced are still on the server. Is this the best way to operate or an out-dated method?

I would think that there is no need to copy to your machine before working. You sould be able to work off the server as long as your server is fast enough.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Indeed

---->>>

I would think that there is no need to copy to your machine before working. You sould be able to work off the server as long as your server is fast enough.

mvg
Molenberghs Hans :)

We work of the server but only since XP as it allows for synchronization ie should the server drop out it saves to local drive then when the server is again available it catches backup to be current.. this becomes almost seamless and if it wasn't for a small dialog box telling you that your synchronizing with the server you wouldn't know it.
I used to have to work off my hard drive under a novell
network then run a batch file that checked my hard drive against the server ( as I had exact same directory structure for drawings) it then updated the server with anything that was new or had a different date..including any new sub directories..
I ran this batch file a couple of times a day.. it was great! and fast as it was dos not windows!!!
And as the network was so slow for ustn it was the best option for us big refe files and lots of them... you could adapt this approach if you like I could post here but it was some thing like
Xcopy/s/d c:\drawings\*.dgn I:\cad server\drawings
Ahhhh DOS can be powerfull...

Thank you Hmo and Lorys for your comments. They will be helpful in my discussions with the powers to be here. I believe I will be able to convince the powers that be to start working off the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back