Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dock design loads for private craft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jc67roch

Structural
Aug 4, 2010
US
I need to design a dock for smaller, freshwater recreational watercraft. It will be located on the Erie Canal in upstate NY (low wind and wave forces). It will likely be treated wood or steel piles with treated wood deck structure. Can anyone refer me to a good resource for determining the design loading (forces) on the dock for use in design? Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Obviously it will depend on the maximum boat size together with the maximum winds and surge at the location.

The ABYC did some experimental figures for anchored boats, you can find it formularized here:

Other data relating to anchoring (remember a vessel at anchor always has minimal windage profile, unlike when moored in a fixed position at a dock) can be found here:

Shipping classification societies are another resource, consider their required loads for things like anchors and mooring rodes. The IACS figures are based on 49 knots wind.
You can get for free the full classification rules from RINA here:
portal.rina.org
which may help point you in the right direction.

I design these for a living down in Florida and there are several US technical standards such as:

Marinas and Small Craft Harbors

Another decent standard is the California Berthing Guidlines standards:

Even thought there is not a standard for all regions of the country, I have worked on several expert witness cases involving poor design of these facilities and it appears that a 50-year design life has been an acceptable design life.

pe-exam.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back