Does Canada have co.s for Heavy duty Drives 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhavalss

Electrical
Dec 8, 2004
CA
Hi,

I am searching for Companies that can provide solutions and systems for heavy duty VFDs in Canada. The selection of the country is a geographical factor necessesiated for some reason. I could only find one Vector Drive Systems. If you have any knowledge or past experience with other company, i will appreciated your repply.

Sincerely,

Dhaval Shah

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear Dhaval Shah,

Rockwell Automation offers a wide range and full support for Low Voltage and Medium Voltage VFD's. In fact the Medium Voltage VFD are made in Cambridge, Ontario, Canada. You can contact them at 519-740-4100 or The operator should be able to direct your call appropriately.

Regards,

Joe Moura P.Eng.
Rockwell Automation
MV Project Engineer

Thanks you,

I have experience with ABB's MultriDrive sytems closely and also AB to certain extent. What both the co.s manufacture in MV rage is contemprary DTC or VVVF drives. I will check with mitshubishi. However i am looking for manufacturers who have capablity to implement MultiLevel Matrix Converter based drives for high power rating. The technology is new and still under research stage however it has great potential.

If you are in touch with any company who would like to take up such a project, i would appreciate your infromation.

Thanks again for your valued information.

- Dhaval Shah

I seriously doubt that anyone is actually manufacturing drives in Canada, it is too small of a market. Even so, most major drive manufacturers have excellent representation in Canada because the oil industry is very strong in Alberta. If you are looking for Medium Voltage dives however, your choices are severely limited.

The only manufacturer doing anything close to matrix converters is Robicon with their Perfect Harmony Drives. Their agent in Alberta is Altelec Engineering, and they are very knowledgeable people.
By the way, Vector Drive Systems is just a distributor of Yaskawa drives.

"Venditori de oleum-vipera non vigere excordis populi"

Jraef,
Rockwell/Allen-Bradley manufacture medium voltage drives, starters and soft-starters in Cambridge, Ontario, Canada. That is the only place in the world that Rockwell does manufacture MV controllers. From there we ship them to anywhere in Canada, including Alberta, and to the rest of the world. However this was not the point of the question.

Have you looked at the RA PowerFlex 7000 with PWM. Can you explain a little behind what you mean by "MultiLevel Matrix Converter".

Regarding,
Joe Moura P.Eng.
Medium Voltage Project Engineer

Oops, my bad. I knew that about AB, but I'm guilty of US-myopia because I think of AB as being a US company.

"Venditori de oleum-vipera non vigere excordis populi"

Thanx all,

I am still waiting for any inputs, i am describing the technology for those who are not aware with it.. though the post is not targetting to startup a discussion on this.

Let me explain it briefly, Multilevel Matrix Converters,

Matrix Converters- If you look at the conventional drives available these days may be VVVF or DTC they have a 3ph diode rectifier, a dc link and a 3ph inverter.

Matrix Converters drive uses an array of semiconductor power switches, operated in a precisely controlled sequence, to connect the three phase lines directly to a motor.
It does this by having generally a 3x3 matrix switch topology. The output is a very precisely controlled variable ac, variable freq.

This converters have many benefits, very attractive are:

1. The regenerative energy does not have to be dessipated in braking resistors, the drive operates in all 4-quadrant, something not commonly found in standalone VVVF & DTC unless having a Controlled Rectifier at the front end.

So there you save from cost of braking resistors, space, use regenerative energy, temp remains low and even air cooling can be used for high rating drives.

2. The DC link is completely eliminated, this is somewhat an attractive feature for high power applications from reliability point of view and cost.

3. The matrix arrangement and a typical switching algorithm can provide almost total elimination of harmonics in all 4-quaddrant operations.

They are very attractive for applications that require total control over the harmonics.

Multilevel is a term added to have parallel operation of Matrix converters for lowering cost and reliablity.

However these technology has an only drawback that the no. of switches required is higher. Though it has to be proven yet.

But this is a cost effective solution for many applications and a promising technology for what benefits it claim.

The technology roots to 80's and was not tried for drawbacks it had at that time, but with recent development in PE and DSP controls, it has drawn somewhat attention again and now has a bright future, definetly.

If anyone is interested to learn the technology in detail, let me know.

- Dhaval Shah

As you indicate, Matrix Converters in the commercial field are still in their early stages even though the actual theoretics are well known. As I have seen, only Yaskawa have taken the plunge and promoted a Matrix Converter but this is generally targeted at the elevator industry. I think they have launched a range but only upto 30Hp.
However, if it is low harmonics and full regeneration capability you are looking for, it might be worthwhile looking at Active Front End technology. Most of the bigger companies offer this (Siemens, ABB, AB etc) and as already mentioned, all are well represented in Canada.

Thanks all,

With my search and discussions about the feasilblity of realizing a MV matrix converter drive for 'the' application n rating, i think it would be difficult for any manufacturer across the world to produce at this stage. An active frond end with a 12/24 pulse converter seems to be the best possible alternative and will have to opt for that.

Actually, I am new to the Canadian land and really wonder why hasnt the local drive industry fostered. Infact i dont know if the count of Small scale and Large scale manufacturers of Power Electronics n Drives together can reach the score of 100. If there exists, there is no listing available handy. (If you have one, please post a link i would appreciate that.)

Personally, I forsee a good potential for PE'n Drives industry here for MV range products, if I stay long enough here may be I'll like to set one up or franchise for someone. Truly.

-Dhaval.

Dhaval
Just a quick point to your note. Using an Active Front End does away with the need of a 12/24 pulse converter. The AFE by definition is generally an IGBT controlled unit that doesn't 'pulse' but switches, in a controlled manner. The harmonics are therefore virtually zero whether it is driving or regenerating. If you want further info, a link from my paymaster is: Although a google search on "Active front end" usually gives you enough to keep you busy.
Enjoy Canada, it's a great place to be!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back