Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

double walled tube applications ideas 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

doublebend

Specifier/Regulator
Mar 27, 2006
US
Any knowledge on where containment or double walled tube is being used.I do double walled fuel lines systems in areospace its a bending technology I licsense.
I want to transfer our technology to marine,facilities process tubing,automotive or any where applicable.Need help with where anyone may have had a double walled or containment piping application.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is used often in Shell & Tube heat exchangers for domestic water heating. Some jurisdictions, like California for example, have legislated double wall tube construction to prevent contamination of water in case of tube failure.

Double walled tuybes may be come neccesary in proposed hydrogen piping systems, espescially when entering buildings. The annular space would be vented to outside and/or vented thru a H2 leak detector.

Any company contacts invoved in systems spoken about would be helpful.Manufacturers,installers or societies.I'll be google searching shell and tube and hydrogen piping systems and other suggestions.
Specifically seeking to learn if and how other tube within tube systems are being bent.material used,pressure requement joining methods.
thanks

The chemical industry would be a good place if you are talking about leak containment. There are a bunch of companies doing double wall piping in these plants. Perma Pipe, Asahi America, Rovanco to name a few.

Stephen,
Not familiar with CRA?Insulation can be used but our slevee remains in the pipe after bending so I would have to reveiw design.It slips between tubes around the bend only and has perforations for evacuation.Would the forum allow a post of a pdf or my website link I think it would help alot of guys to see it requarding app questions besides being interesting.Dont want to violate the rules.

Jdarco,
Thanks, Still searching Chem processing.I have found a very small niche where metal tubes are used and bent.Semiconductor manufacturing is one.Most times plastics are used(like Perma Pipe or parkers flex tubes) and pre fab double walled elbows and many metal apps also prefab elbows instead of bending.Most failures are at fittings can only assume leaks are not as super critical as say a fuel leak in a plane.Any further input appreciated.

STEVE

Also Holland have legislated double wall constractions to
prevent contamination of drinking water in case of failure.

Double wall shell and tube or double wall plate heat exchangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back