Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Doubling down (Golden Gate Bridge) 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

TugboatEng

Marine/Ocean
Nov 1, 2015
US
A year and a half ago sections of the railing on the Golden Gate Bridge we're replaced with units fabricated out of flat bar. They inadvertently built the world's largest harmonica.

Now for the proposed fix?

1/16th aluminum attached to steel and exposed to salt spray? I hope they don't consider the fix permanent else this may become another engineering disaster.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry... I didn't realise that was the original colour.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

[URL unfurl="true" said:
https://www.goldengate.org/bridge/bridge-maintenance/painting-the-bridge/#:~:text=The%20Golden%20Gate%20Bridge%20has,with%20the%20warm%20colors%20of[/URL]]What is the color formula for the unique International Orange color used on the Bridge?
A:
Many people ask about the formula for the Bridge’s unique International Orange paint color. Paint stores can mix it with the following information:
CMYK colors are: C= Cyan: 0%, M =Magenta: 69%, Y =Yellow: 100%, K = Black: 6%.

The closest existing color codes to the International Orange color formula are PMS 173 (CYMK = 0%, 80%, 94%, 1%), PMS 174 (CYMK 8%, 85%, 100%, 34%) and Pantone 180 (CYMK 19.4%, 77.9%, 79.6% 3.6%).

When purchasing paint for the Golden Gate Bridge, it is done through a competitive bidding process. Currently, the paint is supplied by Sherwin Williams and is made to match the Bridge International Orange color formula. The closest off-the-shelf paint color that Sherwin Williams has available is "Fireweed" (color code SW 6328).

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

They're 24-bit RGB values, but the colors in those patches don't match my monitor's display of those RGB values
ff4f00.svg

c0362c.svg

ba160c.svg

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Thanks, IRS... I think the last colour is more pleasing and the first colour is more noticeable.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

I think there's also a fading factor with any painted surface that's exposed to the elements, particularly both the sun AND salt fog. To some degree, the bridge, in my memory appears closer to the other color patch, color is also dictated by the illuminant as well.

TTFN (ta ta for now)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back