Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Dowel Bar Design (Slab to Existing Wall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ettoc

Civil/Environmental
Aug 3, 2024
HK
Hi all,

I need to design a new reinforced concrete slab running on top of the existing walls. The new slab is treated as simply supported. Dowel bars are proposed to connect new slabs on the existing wall.

Would anyone know how to determine the embedment length of dowel bar and detailing for the dowel bar into the new slab. The figure is attached for reference.

Also, apart from the bearing stress from the new wall on the existing walls, what aspect needs to be considered for the existing walls?

Appreciate anyone to provide your views. Thank you.

Dowel_bar_New_slab_and_Existing_Wall_izjsmb.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are designing the new slab as simply supported I would only use 1 dowel at each end, centered in the thickness of the existing walls. Provide a 90 degree hook on top of the dowel. Are you transferring substantial lateral/diaphragm load or uplift from the new slab to the walls? That will determine how much resistance you need from this connection.

TRAK.Structural said:
you are designing the new slab as simply supported I would only use 1 dowel at each end, centered in the thickness of the existing walls. Provide a 90 degree hook on top of the dowel. Are you transferring substantial lateral/diaphragm load or uplift from the new slab to the walls? That will determine how much resistance you need from this connection.

There is no substantial lateral load to the new slab. My intention is to transfer the downward load to the existing walls. I hope to prevent moment transfer from the new slab to the existing walls since reinforcement of the of walls is not clear.

What is the difference between using a pair of dowels and 1 no. of dowel? Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back