Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Downhole hydraulic tubing hangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrillerNic

Petroleum
Jul 1, 2004
GB
I'm about to workover a well completed in the early 80's with an Otis model 'K' Hydraulic Tubing Hanger. Since the well was completed, almost all the well files have been lost (the asset has gone through three changes of ownership in the last 10 years), and I know nothing about this Model K Hydraulic Tubing Hanger, and even less about getting it out of the *@$*@** hole.

Does anyone have experience of retrieving these things? Is it a simple pull-to-retrieve? Any horror stories, lessons learned? Any idea of overpull needed (and any ideas on overpull now, after over 20 years in the hole!!)? I really do not want to have to start milling!

I've spoken to Halliburton, who are looking through their records, but without a part number sounded a bit dubious as they haven't made this piece of kit for some years, so I'm hoping that someone here can help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OK, you hit the jackpot! I'm a ME on Halliburotn's newest line of liner hangers..Versaflex The old Otis facility is still in Carrollton but of course it is now Halliburton. I may be able to get access to what you need. Tell me the system size, base casing size, weight, and grade along with the tubing OD and I may be able to search for the info on our database.

Coolbreeze-

Thanks a lot for any help you may offer! The well records are in pretty poor shape- it's an old field and it's gone through a couple of changes of ownership.

Anyway, it's set in 9-5/8", 47# L80 csg, and has a 4-1/2" 12.6# N80 tbg string. There are no cable or control line penetrations (it's set below the SSSV). The completion diagram labels it an Otis Model "K" hydraulic tubing hanger, but the EOWR calls it an Otis Model "SSH" hydraulic tubing hanger- what's the difference between the two? Both the EOWR and the completion diagram show an Otis Ratch Latch stabbed into the top of the hanger. As you'd expect it's not sealing (an annulus pressure test matched the entire annulus volume, rather than just the volume to this tubing hanger). It was run into an injection well on the Montrose Field in the North Sea in 1981.

The information I'd really like would be track records and field experience in retrieving these things, especially after 20+ years in the hole- do we just pick up the weight of the tubing below it, or is there an overpull to shear pins or anything first? Or do we have to mill it like a packer? Do these things have a tendency to stick (without elements I'd guess/ hope they're less likely to hang up...) Could the slips cold weld or swage into the casing? If we can't retrieve it by pulling, do we cut above it and go in with a fishing spear and just pull harder, or do we start milling?

Thanks again for anything you can find!

This is what I have so far...

The ratch latch is apparently a popular item and still sold today. It has left hand threads so you can release it from the hanger by turning it to the right. I haven't had much luck with the SSH style tubing hanger but it may be retrievable!! Otis used to sell retrievable tubing hangers but I haven't completly tied this one down yet. I'm sure you would have given me a part number if you had it, but it may be worth a second check of your records. Your area Halliburton Rep should be shot for not helping you out on this!!

coolbreeze- our Halliburton Rep came in last Friday with some old Otis drawings (drawn in February 1975!) of the K and SSH style tubing hangers- the difference is that the model K is only held by the tubing weight, the SSH has shear pins & we need 50,000- 66,000lbs of pull to shear out. He also had an old Montrose Completion Running procedure that talks of pressuring up to set the hanger, which means we've got the SSH type. The part number for the SSH hanger on the drawing is 125HH9503, (although that's an Otis number)...

So we've now got a picture, and we know that we have to shear it out (we don't know how many shear screws were installed, so we'll just have to suck & see!).

What he couldn't find was any retrieval history or lessons learned about pulling these things, so if there are any of the old pros over there with you who might remember anything about retrieving the SSH hydraulic tubing hanger, please pick their brains!!!

Thanks a lot, and I owe you a beer!

Nic Thwaites,
Paladin Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back