Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Draft angle

Status
Not open for further replies.

fjonsson

Automotive
May 11, 2007
SE
Is there a way to check draft angle on a model in a global way? I remember a function in Catia V4 where you could define a vector, select all faces and the program displayed the draft in colors depending on what you specify. Is there something similar for NX?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This would be a Slope analysis. Type 'slope', 'slope analysis', or 'face analysis slope' into the command finder. Also look it up in the help file for an idea of how to use it.

Draft analysis would also work, but it may require a special license (I don't remember the requirements for draft analysis).

If you have a modeling license you can run the slope analysis, and I find it is a bit more accurate as well (at least it was in older versions).

And while it may not be as fancy or interactive (you can't drag the vector around and watch the fringe patterns update in real-time)...

Analysis -> Shape -> Slope...

...does NOT require a Studio license whereas...

Analysis -> Shape -> Draft...

...does.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Does NX5 have the command finder? If so, that's your best bet. If not, it may be under something like 'analyze face' or 'analysis -> face -> slope'.

You can find the 'Command Finder' function under the Help pull-down menu.

BTW, under Customize I added a keyboard accelerator, in my case the letter 'Q', so as to make it even easier to launch.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back