Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

draft DZ TS 1170.5 Structural Design Actions 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinNZ

Mechanical
Jun 12, 2003
NZ
There are some positive directions in the new code but equally it is increasing complexity
I've only done a very quick skim/talk to friends though so opinions TBC

I really like the rebranding of Ch(T) to Sas - feels like a more accurate depiction rather than some arbitrary coefficient label

The seven soil classes feels like a pointless pipe dream to be trying to push in, unless they're going to be supported by significant work from local councils prior to citing it in the Building Code.

Tabulating all the acceleration parameters is nice but will be a headache for incorporating into existing spreadsheets
Also going to be a nightmare when you're working in an area outside of the named areas due to lack of a picture showing the values
Google Earth overlays with the different return periods and contours would help a lot

Thanks for the public announcement!

Hmm... i just a quick keyword search for pESA method being the way to load up diaphragms. I wish the updated 1170.5 would draw a straight line between diaphragm design actions and an equation. It doesn't do that. I get there's commentary, but it's just that, commentary.
If you look at ASCE codes, it has the Fpx equation.

...anyone have thoughts on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back