Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drafting Methodology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbobbyjoe

Mechanical
Feb 1, 2006
US
Hello everyone,I just wanted to know if you anyone can tell me the methodology of Drafting for NX. I also wanna know what it is good for and when is it used for work relevence. Thanks
-Richard

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's pretty much the same as any other drafting module out there that creates an associative drawing from 3D models....probably a little better than most, in my opinion.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Richard,

If you are talking about the "Master Model Concept" which UG put to work to split the part and drawing from being in the same file as UG originaly was designed for, I can give my thoughts on its implementation.

UG like some other Systems Catia 4 for instance used to keep 1 file which contained both a model space "Part Mode" which contained the geometry and Draft Space "Draw Mode" which contained the views and dimensions. This was a nice Idea and allowed for The Model to be changed from the drawing.

Other systems that have not been around as long as UG started out with several types of files with different extensions .drw .asm to indicate drawing files and assembly files. and just linked the drawings to the parts so that changes could be made to the part and the drawings would update.

The Master Model concept helps to keep file size to a minimum because the data for the part and drawing are split into two files. Another benefit is that you can have the model be worked on by a designer and have the drawing be worked on by a Drafter with out having to wait to access the file.
This allows for companies that have separate Drafting Group and Modeling group that only work in Part Mode or Drawing mode to allow work to be done simultaneously by both groups.

Michael
[ponder]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back