Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drafting Sheets

Status
Not open for further replies.

lab2010

Aerospace
Mar 21, 2014
US
This seems like a really simple task, but I cannot get it to work. On sheet 1 of my drawing, I have my "base view" with a couple section views added. Sheet 1 is full, so I created a new sheet 2. I'd like to use the "base view" drawing on sheet 1 as the parent for section C-C, which will need to be on Sheet 2. The only thing I can do is duplicate the original base view on sheet 2. I would certainly hope there is an alternative to that. Is there a way to get a section drawing on a different sheet than its parent drawing? Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

After adding your second sheet, simply go back to the first sheet (where the base view is) and create your section view (don't worry about where you place it). Now select the newly created section view, press MB3 and select 'Cut'. Now switch to the second sheet, press MB3 and select 'Paste'. You can now place your section view wherever you wish on the second sheet.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

This is how it works on NX6: create the view on sh 1, then edit -> view -> move/copy view, then choose the icon for moving to another sheet.

(You should specify which version you are working with, as things change;-))

“Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively.”
-Dalai Lama XIV

don't forget to re-set the scale on sheet2 as the moved view won't automatically inherit the scale on that sheet

... or you can "drag & drop" in the part navigator. NX is both a blessing and a hindrance in how many ways you can accomplish the same thing.

“Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively.”
-Dalai Lama XIV

Yes, it's a sort of 'Good New - Bad News' situation:

"With NX there are 10 ways to do everything. The bad news is that 9 of them are perfectly valid, but don't ask me which one isn't since that depends on what it is that YOU are using NX for."

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back