Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drag component tool bar grey out in assy mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinhman

Industrial
Feb 25, 2010
US
Hello Guys
How come my "drag component tool bar" grey out and i can not drag any of my part in there. I am sure that they are not fully positioning yet? am i missing something? please help.
Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check that no assembly relationships are failed and that you do not have conflicts in your tree (red lightnings). Fix it by arranging the assembly relationships; this will re-enable the 'drag component' command.

Fred

Thanks Guys, i will double ckeck that. Now, i got another question ( i am a solidworks guy but with the new job i have to use solid edge ST2, so please bare with me.)My question is All the moving parts have to be on the same level of the assy.?
The reason i have this question is: I have a Sub. assy with the shaft rotate about it's center line but when i bring this sub assy. into the main assy. this shaft is not be able move any more.
Can somebody please explain it to me or point out any step that am i missing??
Thanks in advance

If you have a part in a subassembly, you will need to go to that subassembly to move it.

One other thing to check in general is in the options diaglogue for the move parts command, make sure the "locate grounded parts" box is checked.

Kyle

With regards to your second question....
By default an assembly is placed as a rigid sub assembly even if it contains any degrees of freedom within itself.

In order to promote the degrees of freedom into the higher level assembly you need to right click on the sub assembly instance in the PathFinder and choose the 'Adjustable' option from the context menu.

You will then find you can move it within its degrees of freedom. In your case the shaft should rotate.

If you want to switch it back to a rigid assembly you can do so using the context menu again.

This adjustable assembly functionality gives SE the abiliy to place many instances of an assembly and have them all represented differently. For example multiple hydraulic cyclinders all at different extended lengths.

Hope that helps
Jon

Jon Sutcliffe / Solid Mastermind
The Solid Edge Community. Video training sessions, best practice documents, process maps and interactive training

> By default an assembly is placed as a rigid sub assembly

not always. An assembly has an option that when set will place
it as adjustable in another assembly (Tools - Options -
Tab assembly; for ST: Application - Options - Assembly)

dy

Absolutely
Good call dy

Also we you can do the same on the fly during the assemble process....
when placing the assembly you can hit the 'Assemble Options' button in the command bar and choose the 'Place as Adjustable' option.

Jon

Jon Sutcliffe / Solid Mastermind
The Solid Edge Community. Video training sessions, best practice documents, process maps and interactive training

A bit off the original topic, but adjustable assemblies can (will?) cause you headaches further up the assembly tree.
I've used them in the past and having to MANUALLY flag them as adjustable at higher levels simply to get rid of the red flashes is a nightmare.
If an assembly is placed as adjustable that should be recognised automatically at higher levels.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back