Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Drainage Channel Design for Oil Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoga Arviansyah

Mechanical
Mar 31, 2022
ID
Hi, i'am currently designing oil tank and now I'm in the detailing stage regarding the drainage channel,
in NFPA 30 They stated that :
22.11.2.6 Each diked area containing two or more tanks shall be subdivided, preferably by drainage channels ....
22.11.2.6.1 The drainage channels or intermediate dikes shall be located between tanks...

and NFPA 15 That :
drainage trenches should be twice as wide as deep, and in no case should the depth exceed the width.

I want to ask, that how we determine depth of drainage channel ?
Capture_tcfyw5.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is not a typical mechanical engineering question - there is a section for Petroleum Engineering: that is better suited for this question.

Click the "Report" button (small red flag) and ask for this thread to be deleted and then you can re-post the question for the Petroleum Engineers.

I expect the answer has to do with some fraction of the volume of the tank, but that will no doubt lead to a standard or requirement that is established based on what country or regulations apply to the location for the tank.

I answered in one of the other threads which got deleted that NFPA is very vague about what constitutes a "minor spill".

I really don't like the drainage channel at the base of the tank. If that fills with flammable product and catches fire you have a ring of fire at the base of your tank. No access to valves or anything. It should free drain away from the tank.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back