Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dranetz-BMI Power Quality Monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndwade

Electrical
Mar 26, 2009
BM
Hi all,

I am an entry level electrical working on a project to install a high level power quality monitoring system for a steam/chilled water plant which has very critical loads and has been experiencing many unexplained outages.

We are looking to install the Encore Dranetz-BMI power quality system on our (4) incoming feeders as well as on our bus which is connected to many of our 4160V motors.

I was wondering if anyone could give their opinion on this system in terms of its capability for retrieving data, ease of interpreting data, and flexibility for growth.

FYI: We are interested in capturing harmonics, flicker, sags, swells, and unbalanced loading (unbalanced currents, and voltages)

Any tips or feedback on this system or others, or general information is greatly appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The Dranetz equipment is great from my history of their equipment. You may also want to consider PMI recorders if you have not already. PMI is Power Monitors Inc. Have used them recently with great results also.

Alan

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed sheep!
Ben Franklin

You may have to be careful with some of BMI/Dranetz when it comes to grids that are polluted with VFD "backfeed". This HF is folded back to the 0 - 2500 Hz region so that you get more harmonics than the grid actually has. It is very obvious when you get high EVEN harmonics readings. Not many grids have even harmobics contents but I have read close to one percent even harmonics in grids with VFDs. Not a big problem if you are aware of it, but can lead to unnecessary work if you are not.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
100 % recycled posting: Electrons, ideas, finger-tips have been used over and over again...

Gunnar...do you know if Dranetz is aware of the issue?

Thanks

Alan

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed sheep!
Ben Franklin

I think they are. I have talked to them - and so have at least one other guy I know of.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
100 % recycled posting: Electrons, ideas, finger-tips have been used over and over again...

Hi All,

I find the Dranetz to be an excellent instrument, but I do not leave it connected continuously, only for a week or so for fault finding.

I suggest you contact Ian Murdock, who is their agent in this country for a demonstration of the platforms and remote devices if you want a permanent thing. His phone number is 0044 1702293040

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back