Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drawing Link Issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMan51

Automotive
Feb 8, 2007
US
I created a new part in Catia V5 that I want to attach to an existing drawing. I renamed the drawing to the new Catpart number. When I enter the drawing links to replace the previous catpart with the new part I get the error message " The link refused the document". Is there a way to
rectify this situation without redoing the drawing. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks much

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Had you taken the original CATPart and modified it, then done a SAVE AS to a new part number, what you tried to do would have worked. Or if you used a part that was a part of a Design Table group of parts, you'd have also been able to do that. Each Catia part has a UUID I think it's called. In order to keep the dimension links in the Drawing, you'd need to use a Part with the same UUID, a part that was SAVED AS.

Next time have your drawing pointed at a Product. You can change the child parts (edit, add, or subtract) and the drawing will update.

Plan ahead: When you extract a view you need something to base it on, a plane or planar face, etc., it is helpful for the view to have that projection plane after the change has been made. It is worth the time to have an extra Part that won't change. The plane in the extra Part will control your projection geometry. Consider a "Top Down" approach with Assembly Design workbench and have your view projection controls in the skeleton Part.

btw:
Use File+Save As... for a new UUID.
Use File+Send To... to keep the same UUID.

/k.c.takacs

We have also found that, if you create your new part from the old part, then re-link the drawing BEFORE you make any changes, you will have better luck.

Watch out for storing two things with the same UUID in the same file folder or opening them up in the same session. The CAT will not always manage the links the way you want. It is easily fixed with the replace link mentioned above.

/k.c.takacs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back