Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Drawing of an HRSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlrInspectorVa

Industrial
Jan 16, 2010
US
I am looking for a good drawing that I can print out and label the areas of an HRSG--supercritical boiler with and with out drums.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks AllHandsTaken, but the drawing I am looking for is a scaled version..blueprint type like the one the can be found or seen in Basics of Boiler and HRSG Design book, it was also released by B&W on the A type boiler or El-Paso type boiler.

eliebl, I have attached a link for your review.

Again, Thank You for the drawing you provided.

In the context of the question asked, especially as regards a HRSG, I read the word "supercritical" to mean "once through". I could have been wrong about that, however.

rmw

curtis & rmw, i think that supercritical means that the steam produced from the boiler is at higher pressure and/or temperature than the critical values for water.

The once thru HRSG's are built by licensees of Siemens KWU, such as recently announced by Nooter Ericksen. One KWU style was built in England about 10 yrs ago . The HP circuit is once thru . without a steam drum, but with integral steam/water separators.( Horizontal gas pass)

Another syle once thru HRSG has been proposed by a belgian HRSG mfr ( vertical gas pass), but I do not think they have built one yet.

The most common once thru HRSG is made by a canadian mfr, called IST, uses all-incolnel tubing and very high inlet orifice pressure drop ( for flow distribution and stability), vertical gas flow.

Traditionally, one was unlikely to have a supercritical unit if the steam turbine electric rating was below 450 MWe for 2 reasons:(a) The leakage past the HP turbine seals caused a loss which exceeded the thermodynamic gain due to the higher pressure cycle if the HP turbine ( 3600 rpm) rating was below a certain size, historically judged to be 450 MWe and (b) for a coal fired radiant furnace, it was difficult to achieve the required mass flowrate thru the furnace waterwall tubes for ratings below 450 MWe.

In the case of a gas fired combined cycle, item (b) is irrelevant, but it may be possible to overcome the steam turbine leakage issue by using a sepeate shaft for the HP turbine with a gear reducer or separate HP generator or a digital conversion to 60 Hz ( as used with small capstone gas turbines).

Supercritcal: As previously stated it is a once through, meaning what comes in goes out, there is a steam drum, but may or may not have a mud/water drum, the steam is generated within the water wall tubes. The SC boiler operates up to 4500 psig.

There seems to be some confusion in this series.

a) The dwgs that were listed are not HRSG's; they were fossil fired steam generators with radiant furnaces

b) the boiler shown was an older design subcritical once thru unit; there is no steam drum, but there may be a low pressure flash tank for startup in the old design that was shown.

c) I suggest you find a the latest editio of BW "Steam" and obtain the required dwgs for all the differnt styles of boilers + steam generators from that source.

There is a steam drum on the boiler picture I provided, two reason I know for sure:

1) it is in the drawing

2) I have crawled through it, the steam drum that is, not to mention the two mud drums that is installed.

The latest addition of "Steam": "Reprint of the 1927 edition
This is a rare reprint and should not be confused with the 1992 40th edition, or the upcoming (2005) 41st edition. This is the 36th edition from 1927 and the reprint is not a publication of Babcock & Wilcox."

as per Amazon.com you can even review the book there.

My understanding is that all supercritical HRSG stages are once through but not all once through HRSG stages are supercritical.

I have worked on two projects on the latter type.

Regards,

athomas236

I think the reference to 'water wall tubes' indicates a state of confusion regarding the meaning of the terminology.

rmw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back