Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drawing of augmented component

Status
Not open for further replies.

baazar

Mechanical
Jun 1, 2009
US
I have to create a drawing to a client. This drawing is of a plate with the holes we added.

My question is: is it common practice to turn in drawings with details of the processes you do, or the whole thing.

For example, you've a crazy part with thousands of small grooves and holes and you just create one large hole. Would I dimension the large hole we created (assuming the crazy part is a piece that we purchased), or must I include all of the dimensions.

The client has given no feedback on this matter.

TIA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is no need to dimension the features which exist. You may want to create some representation of those features if it is important to the orientation of the part in which you create a feature. Dimension the feature(s) you create.

Ted

I would suggest an altered item drawing IAW ASME Y14.24-1999 section 6.1(assuming US based, not sure if there is a directly equivalent iso).

Basically call up their part as the material, and then only fully detail your changes. You give it a new part number to help identify it.

It depends a bit on purpose though, if you just need to give them the information so that they can change their drawing then a simple sketch may be enough.

It may be a terminology issue but you rarely define processes on a drawing - usually just the finished item.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

I figured I'd just indicate our changes since the original part is purchased and would add detail that's probably not of interest. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back