Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drawing section cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

aitchem

Automotive
Dec 8, 2003
GB
Hi all,
I have an extruded component which twists in 3 planes.
A solid swept on a curve on a compound surface (door glass).

How do I make a true section of this part at a specific point in a 2D drawing.? I don't have a view which in normal to the section plane I want to cut on.

In Catia 4 I could just pick a plane in 3D space and create an independant view. I don't seem to be able to do that in v5.???????

HM

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Create a sketch in plan view with the line as if it was the section plane, when in drafting pick the sketch as the section and voila.

Regards,
Derek

Thanks, that gives me a section normal to the view.

I need a true section normal to the extrusion,
which at no point is normal to any of the views.!

:-(

Position a plane using "normal to curve" pick the curve where you want to make the section. Then right click in point field and chose "create point" pick the curve again and now position the point.

Now you have a normal plane in right position

Now you can either use inersection in GSD or create a sketch and use "intersect 3D element" (remember to pick the body in the tree before activating the feature so you don't get entitys of the solid instead of the whole solid).

Now you have to orient an axis system and use the compass to orient the view, grab the compass in the center and just release it in space (don't reset it) now you can switch views by clicking on the axis ends in top right corner. Get wanted view and bring it on the drawing with "isometric view"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back