Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drawing translation to IGES

Status
Not open for further replies.

amatmay

Mechanical
Aug 13, 2005
DE
I am trying to translate a drawing which is a non-master part to IGES,but I end up with nothing.
My requirement is I need a IGES of my drawing,
Is there any workaround which needs to be done?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you tried exporting the drawing to CGM then importing that into modelling of your part or even a temp part then exporting that as iges?

Cheers,

Mark Benson
CAD Support Engineer

Why do you need IGES, perhaps DXF would do better?

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2005 SP5.0 on WinXP SP2
SolidWorks 2006 SP1.0 on WinXP SP2

UG's DXF and DWG translators right out of drafting suck...no two ways about it. Even the 2d exchange can give you crappy output. The tried and true method is to first export your drawing to a CGM file....import that cgm file into a new part...and then export a DXF/DWG right from modelling. It makes the file a little bigger than necessary but it's the only good way to do it. I just tried the 2d exchange again last week...just for the heck of it....sure enough it threw iso's on top of plan views in my drawing...nice. I've talked most of my customers into using CGM now. A lot of packages now support it and there are several free viewers available. I would expect to see it's use grow, especially for PDM related stuff...mostly due to the small filesizes and the fact that it's a vector file rather than a raster file so the lines don't get fuzzy when you zoom in on a drawing in a viewer.

I know that UG -> CGM ->UG -> IGES will work..
but why not the direct Iges of a drawing.

When I import my Translated IGES back to UG, I find only empty views...
Why is it so?

The only answers I have been able to find is either use the CGM method or get the UG to 2D drawing 'flattener'. That will get the drawing views to flatten out into 2D entities, which IGES & DXF should then translate with minimal issues. I have yet to see a method that will preserve 100% associativity of dimensions 100% of the time, no matter what type of drawing you're trying to translate.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back