Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drawing with Large Assy View iso-Won't Render

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkared

Automotive
Oct 14, 2009
US
I am creating an assy drawing to be Ballooned. There are 700 parts in the assembly, many duplicated(Nuts, bolts). When I create the iso view it acts like it thinking.... but never completes drawing the view. Is there something I should be doing to the assembly first or another way of creating a view from a large assembly?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try adding the base view again setting the preferences to faceted as you go.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

Under preferences>drafting I see options like Load component on Faceted view selection/Load component on Faceted view Update.

I tried creting another base view looking for a Faceted selection somewhere and don't see it. I am using UGNX6 on a Dell 690 with 4 GB ram Xeon 3.3ghz Processor.
Where is the faceted selection before you create the view?

Found the Faceted selection under view style. Will give that a go. Any other suggestions for reducing memory problems in views of large assemblies would be welcome.

Do your nuts and bolts have symbolic threads? Before placing the view, go into the View Style and on the Threads tab, uncheck the box to Render True Hidden Line.

Does your company mandate that huts and bolts BE shown? Toggling the hardware to a "symbolic" style may help. I can not find the option in NX6 as I just started using 6.

Hi

One of my tips consists to
load only the structure
place many views on the drawing
load full assy
update the drawing

I found that this method is helpfull in some case

Didier

1. Try to to avoid having to balloon hardware on the upper level - Hardware could be easily reffered within sub-assies
2. If #1. can be done > Have ALL the tree hardware belong to a layer and that layer be invisible on the drawing level
3. Use and abuse of the ANAV GROUP function to selectivelly choose what needs to be loaded on upper levels.

4. Faceted representation has always been a thing of the past - just forget it.
5. Same for Reference Views - just tricks that work as good as tricks.
6. Drafting in Unigraphics is just like drafting on the old board: only go to the point and ask yourself "What is needed at this level of fabrication?". You'll soon realize that not much is worth the value on the upper levels.
7. 700 parts is really nothing to deal with when we can lay a view of 100000 parts on a sheet in a few seconds :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back