Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drawings for sheet metal parts 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

amlsna

Industrial
Oct 24, 2005
US
Greetings,
I have made some sheet metal parts in V17, and have them in the bent format and saved them as flat. My question is how to show the part in both formats on a fabrication drawing that would be reviewed by manufacturing in order to obtain overall sizes?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,

The first screen after picking a sheetmetal part in "Drawing view wizard" you can point to "Designed part" or "Flat pattern". You just need to do the drawing view wizard twice.

Greetings, I thought that, but on that first screen, I only have "Designed Part" active, and the other two options are grayed out. Not sure why.

That's because you didn't flatten your sheetmetal part. Simply go into the sheetmetal part and create a flat pattern by going into "model" and then "flat pattern" from the pull down menu. You will have to select a reference plane and a reference axe. Close and save. Return to your draft and you will see that the flat pattern option is available.

Patrick

I am obviously missing something basic here. I have done that "Save as Flat" and picked the surface and the x-axis w/ origin, but then have to use a different name for saving the *.psm. When I open the dft file that contains the original psm part, I still do not get the "Flat Pattern" option.
Question: Is there any adverse effects of having an "Unbend" and "rebend" in the Feature Path of the part?
Should the part have been saved as a "Flat" to begin with?
The only apparent option that I have now is to save the file as a flat and then add a 2nd reference part to the dft file, thus giving the flat pattern and the formed part.

Confused.

You don't need to use the "Save as flat" command, this is used to save it in dxf format.

You have to create the flat pattern directly into the psm file and in order to accomplish it you have to change the "model" so if you click on the pull down menu "model" you will see that there is a check beside "design" that's for when you work on the part. Then when you want to have the flat pattern you check the "flat pattern" button from the same pull down menu. You should be good from there.

Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back