Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drilled Shaft on Soft Clay

Status
Not open for further replies.

DenseSand

Geotechnical
May 6, 2015
PR
I am having a very deep subsoil profile consisting mainly of soft clay with cohesion of about 250 psf increasing with depth to about 750 to 1000 psf. My question is, If the tip is left resting at this clay, should the difference in weight between excavated material and the concrete be considered to obtain the allowable capacity?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Or settlement may be computed by only using the Reese and Oneill correlation?

Densesand, it depends on local regulations.
Technically speaking, it makes sense to consider the difference in weight obtained by substituting concrete to soil. Under some regulations though, like it happens in my area, the actions must be determined conservatively by considering the full weight of concrete.

Thanks McCoy. At the end, it's a communication monopole what we are dealing with. Required wind loads in my jurisdiction govern required shaft length in design. Working load plus weight of shaft is about 0.4 the ultimate skin friction. Therefore end bearing will not be mobilized at all and pressures under the tip would not be a concern.

Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back