Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drive Shaft Disconnect Design Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

oompaloompa

Mechanical
Jan 26, 2007
US
I'm making a conveyor type of machine to move a product in a linear path about 36" long. I have a drive shaft and two other shafts running beneath the conveyor belt. The shafts are at different heights (Y-axis let's say) relative to the floor.

Currently, I'm using a hex socket to drive the conveyor shafts. They are spring loaded, allowing them to be pulled back to a locking position without the use of hand tools (tools are not allowed).

Part of the requirement of the system is that the entire conveyor assembly must pivot up in order to allow cleaning beneath. This pivoting occurs 1-7 times per week. In addition, once a month the entire assembly must be removed and brought to a clean room to be washed down. Again, no tools allowed for this, and all materials must be stainless steel.

The problem with the hex drive I am having, is that it is extremely difficult to align the conveyor shafts (axis) with the drive shafts once the conveyor returns from the pivoted position. Sometimes, the couplings won't even re-engage, due to shaft misalignment or rotational position of the hex.

I'd like to solve the problem with a different type of coupling if possible, rather than redesigning the pivots, etc. Gears are ok, some type of U-joint, sliding shaft etc.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back