Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Driverless Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to agree IRstuff, but 25% of todays kids don't even get drivers licenses.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

We already have self-driving cars. They are called trains.

I would find it revolting for my car to have the potential to disobey my commands and do things regardless of my will. Luckily, I can set up any car however I want. Some people are not lucky enough to have the ability or resources for that. The driving experience would be exactly as if you were riding in a hijacked car while bound and tied in the passenger seat.

I won't purchase a car which does not have 100% operator-operated mechanical connections to brakes, throttle, and steering. ABS and traction control is hardly even acceptable for me. If ABS actually improves your stopping, it is because you are not competent in the art of traction management.

My inputs to the vehicle are not to be questioned by the vehicle or my passengers. In the event that my vehicle or passengers attempt to interfere with my inputs to my vehicle, I correct the root cause for that offense at the next available opportunity. So far, the only driver's-aid that I have left on my cobra is cruise control, because I kinda like that sometimes. My last mustang (GT) didn't even get to keep the ECU.

Last time I checked, a train stopped nowhere near my front door... or that of my office.

ABS allows you to maneuver around an obstacle during full braking... can't do that without ABS unless you have some impressive leg pumping speed.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Traction control only works if you are omniscient. As an ex-Vice President was wont to say, "it's not the known unknowns that get you, it's the unknown unknowns that get you."

You can give yourself 10 car lengths, or whatever, but there's still going to be that one *ssh*le that has to cut 3 ft in front of you and then slam on the brakes because they suddenly realize that their offramp is only 200 ft in front of them.

TTFN
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
homework forum: //faq731-376 forum1529

There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.

Donald Rumsfeld

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back